Interested in adopting? Please review our Adoption Procedures:
Adoption/Visiting Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, Noon-4pm
You may visit our cats, kittens, dogs and puppies over the age of 4 months old during adoption hours prior to completing an adoption application. You must fill out an adoption application and be approved before visiting with puppies aged 4 months old and younger.
Applying for Adoption:
- Fill out an adoption application in person at the shelter during adoption hours. We do not offer adoption applications online. If you live at a distance (1-1/2+ hours away), you can call us at 724-539-2544 to complete an adoption application by phone. Calls are returned within 48 hours.
- Bring the following pertinent documents with you:
- Pet Owners: Vet records of all your current pets.
- Homeowners: Proof of home ownership – a property tax or mortgage document. Utility bills are not accepted.
- Renters: Landlord’s phone number and copy of your lease. We must speak to your landlord to be considered for adoption.
- Valid ID: You must be 21 years or older.
- A collar and leash is required to take a newly adopted dog home with you. Please ensure to bring a collar that will fit the dog securely. You may purchase a collar and leash at the shelter during the adoption process. The cost of a collar and leash start at $16.
If you currently have dogs at your home, we require a meet and greet with the shelter dog you are interested in. You must have an approved adoption application before the meet and greet.
The adoption will be finalized after all required information is confirmed and your adoption application is approved.
We cannot guarantee the availability of the pet you are interested in and do not hold on any animals.
Please note: You may be surprised to find that adopting an animal is a more involved process than you expected, or that it means you can’t have immediate access to an animal you are interested in. But it is important to understand, 1. The process is the same for everyone and, 2. It’s not our intention to frustrate you. Rather, everything we do is for the best interests of the animals in our care, and is aimed at giving them the best possible chance of finding a permanent home. Action For Animals takes great pride in matching people and pets and invests much time and energy to make sure that the adoption is going to be one that lasts a lifetime.